The British Asparagus season begins May and is considered the best in the world, so much so that May is National Asparagus month. Asparagus has lots of health benefits and is a rich source of vitamins A, C, K and folic acid. Perfect for getting you fit and healthy for summer.
1. Prepare a quart baking dish, brushing it with butter.
2. Pour an inch of water into a large saucepan and leave to boil.
3. Once the water is boiling add the onion, sweet pepper and asparagus.
4. Stir and boil for one minute then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until all the vegetables in the buttered baking dish are cooked with a slight firmness.
5. Drain the pan.
6. Layer the vegetables in the buttered baking dish, including the courgette.
Reserve a couple of asparagus spears to garnish the dish.
Baking the asparagus into a frittata:
1. Get a bowl and combine the eggs, light cream and fresh Italian parsley.
2. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Pour the mixture over the arranged vegetables in the baking dish and bake at 175 degrees Celsius (avoid covering the dish).
4. Check the frittata after half an hour of cooking by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the mixture. If it comes out clean the frittata is ready.
5. Let the dish stand for a few minutes outside of the oven and garnish with the asparagus spears kept from earlier.