1) Lightly butter a 2 ½ pint pudding basin
2) Place the dried fruits and candied peel together with an apple, orange and juice of half a lemon and orange zest in a very large mixing bowl. Add brandy and stir well. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate for a few hours
3) Mix together flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, the suet, sugar, nuts, along with breadcrumbs and lemon and orange zest in a very large mixing bowl, until all the ingredients are well mixed. Finally add marinated dried fruits and stir again.
4) Beat the eggs in a small bowl then stir quickly into the dry ingredients. The mixture should have fairly soft consistency
5) Take turns with the family to add coins and stir
6) Spoon the mixture in a greased pudding basin, gently pressing the mixture down with the back of the spoon. Cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper and baking parchment, then a layer of foil and secure it with string
7) Place the pudding in a steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water and steam for 7 hours. Make sure the water doesn’t boil dry. It should be a deep brown colour when cooked.
8) Remove the pudding from the steamer and let it cool. Remove the paper, prick it and pour a little brandy. Cover with greaseproof paper and leave it till Christmas day!