1. Peel and halve or quarter the parsnips and carrots so that the pieces are of a similar size.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan, then add the carrots and parsnips and toss them to coat in oil.
3. Add the thyme, cinnamon, star anise and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook over a medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes, turning frequently until golden brown and almost cooked through.
5. Drizzle over the honey and cook until the vegetables start to caramelise.
6. Deglaze the pan with the water and increase the heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and the carrots and parsnips are cooked through.
7. Stir in a few knobs of butter to glaze the veg.