It’s Wimbledon season and strawberries are being eaten by the kilo. 28,oookg to be exact! We love strawberries and we are always looking for things to do with them. We have a great pink lemonade recipe for you. It’s perfect for a hot summer’s day and a great alternative if you can’t face another bowl of strawberries and cream.
There’s nothing more refreshing than a tall, chilled glass of home-made lemonade. Our simple recipe adds seasonal strawberries, to create the perfect pink thirst-quencher. You can even swap the sugar for sweet apples and pears to create a low sugar alternative. This versatile recipe can also be frozen into ice cube trays for a fruity addition to any summer cocktail or frozen into moulds with water for super-cooling ice lollies. For an alcoholic twist, add the cordial to Prosecco to make lemon and strawberry blinis. Cheers!
1) Put all of the ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
2) Simmer for around 1 hour until the mixture thickens slightly.
3) Taste comes first, so regularly check the cordial to make sure it has the right balance of sweet and citrus. Keep in mind that it will be used as a cordial so it should have a strong flavour.
4) Take the mixture off the heat, press it through a fine sieve and catch the liquid in a bowl. The pink cordial should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5) Use the cordial and top-up with sparkling water to make fizzy lemonade or with water for traditional flat lemonade.
The fruity cordial can also enhance a range of mouth-watering summer desserts. Simply stir into crushed meringue, whipped cream and fresh strawberries for a tangy twist on a classic Eton mess or drizzle over vanilla cheesecake – easy, peasy lemon squeezy.