Whether it’s sweet or savoury, pork, pumpkin, or everyday winner apple, there is nothing we love more at Keelham than a proper pie.
For British Pie Week we’ve thought of all pie possibilities. Want to treat a loved one to one of our award-winning handmade pork pies? Why not take it to the next level and order one of Keelham’s personalised pork pies, freshly made at the deli with a personal message of your choice.
If you fancy having a go at making your own pie, our deli team are on hand to help you pick out a delicious sweet or savoury filling. And if you want to cheat a little bit, we’ve got some ready-roll pastry too – we won’t tell anyone!
Pie without mash would be like fish without chips or rhubarb without custard, so of course we’ve got that covered too. For mash-making, try our Maris Piper potatoes, which arrive fresh into the shop every day from the market or pick up some ready-made to pop in the microwave for an even easier meal.
Every day we have a pie on the menu in Keelham Kitchen, because they’re so popular with our customers. We thought we’d share with you a delicious recipe for one of our most-loved pie dishes - chicken, ham and leek pie - so you can give it a try at home.
Chicken ham and leek pie with puff pastry crust
400g skinless, boneless chicken breast
100g cooked ham, diced
180-200g small leeks, washed and sliced into small chunks
50g salted butter
2 TBSP plain flour
1 TSP Dijon mustard
150ml single cream
2 TBSP chopped tarragon
350g puff pastry
1 large egg, beaten
- Cut chicken breast into medium sized chunks
- Put the chicken in a pan over medium heat and brown all sides of chicken
- Add the leeks and ham and cook until the leeks are just tender
- Transfer the chicken, ham and leeks into a bowl
- In the same pan that the chicken was cooked, melt the butter
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir for a few minutes until flour is cooked through
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until the sauce thickens
- Add the mustard and cream and stir
- Return the chicken, ham and leeks to the pan, add the tarragon and mix well
- Place the filling into a pie dish then roll out the pastry to cover the top
- Brush the top of pastry with egg and cut a vent in the middle of the pastry to release steam while cooking
- Bake at 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden